What is SQL Server Management Studio and what can I do with it?
SQL Server Management Studio is a term that comes up often and is logically connected with SQL Server. In this blog you can read what it is, what you can do with it and what the benefits are.
What is SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)?
SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS for short) is an integrated development environment for managing any SQL infrastructure. It is used to access, manage, configure, and develop all components of SQL Server and SQL Database. It has been optimized over the years by Microsoft and is a very popular database and server management program.
What is SQL Server Management Studio used for?
The program is used for tasks related to database and server management. It is used for the following Database activities, among others:
- Quickly create and modify databases;
- Adding and modifying database objects including tables and views;
- Testing database objects with external testing tools;
- Implementing databases ;
- Executing a Query on databases;
- Optimize databases to improve response time;
- Manage databases such as backup and restore;
- Import and export data.
In addition, there are also a number of SQL server administrative tasks that can be easily done with SSMS, such as:
- Registering and connecting servers on location and remote;
- Manage users for servers and databases;
- Monitor server activity through logs;
- Monitor database and SQL Server performance;
- Delete and disconnect databases;
- Tools to write script to perform administrative tasks;
Who Use SSMS?
There are a number of features that make use of SQL Server Management Studio, such as:
- SQL Database developers
- SQL Business Intelligence developers
- SQL Database administrators
- Network administrators
- Database analysts
What are the functionalities of SSMS?
SSMS has a lot of functionalities, the most important are:
- Query Editor
- Database designer
- Object Explorer
- Template Explorer
- Query designer
- Generate and publish scripts
- Backup and Restore
- SQL Server Security Management
Is Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio free?
Yes, SSMS is completely free. However, you do have to pay for a SQL Server (if you don't already have one). Because Softtrader offers these second-hand, we are sometimes up to 70% cheaper. View the SQL Server products here.
What is the difference between SQL Server and SQL Server Management Studio?
Microsoft SQL Server is a database management system that enables things like transaction processing and analytics applications. SSMS takes care of communication with the Server, and with it to perform tasks such as backups, creating databases and making queries.
How to create a SQL query in SSMS?
Creating a SQL query is done in 3 steps:
- Link the database in the object explorer
- In the object explorer: right click on the database to be edited and select 'new query' from the context menu.
- In the new window, type the query lines that will make the changes to the database.
How does the SQL Server Management Studio licensing model work?
SSMS is additional software for a licensed SQL Server. Allows you to install and use SSMS on any device as long as it is used to manage a licensed SQL Server.
Read everything you need to know about SSIS here.
Buy cheap Microsoft SQL Server licenses
Are you looking for a cheap Microsoft SQL Server license? Softtrader is a specialist in second-hand Microsoft licenses, which saves you up to 70% on the new price. Softtrader offers Microsoft SQL Server 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2019. Curious about the price? Request a quote now.
SQL Server 2022 is coming soon! Find out everything you want to know about SQL Server 2022 in this article.
Do you have questions? Contact us!
For more information about which Microsoft software and licenses are best for you, please contact us. We are available from Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.