What is a Retail license?
A Retail license is a perpetual license and very accessible type of license. Retail licenses are also called FPP licenses, which stands for Full Packaged Product. Retail licenses are generally a bit more expensive and are available separately. These licenses are primarily offered when a small business or individual needs fewer than 5 licenses.
What Retail licenses are there?
- Windows Pro
- Microsoft Office Home & Business (2010, 2013, 2016, 2019, 2021)
- Microsoft Office Home & Student (2013, 2016, 2019, 2021)
- Microsoft Office Professional (2013, 2016, 2019, 2021)
Benefits of a Retail license
A Retail license is an individual license that is separate from a device. This means that if a computer breaks down, the key can easily be transferred to another computer. This can be done free of charge.
For individual users or companies that do not need a large number of keys, Retail licenses are a good option. As mentioned earlier, Retail licenses are individual licenses, making them easy to obtain separately. For example, if only 3 licenses are needed, it is advisable to opt for retail licenses. The fact that Retail licenses can be purchased individually is advantageous for small businesses because one new license can easily be purchased when, for example, a new employee is hired.
Disadvantages of a Retail license
A disadvantage of purchasing a Retail license is that the costs will be higher. For companies with many employees, it is therefore important to carefully consider which licenses are required before choosing the more expensive option.
Another disadvantage is that Retail licenses have little added value for large companies with many employees. The costs for companies will be a lot higher if the licenses are purchased individually for each employee instead of a cheaper volume license.
Rules for Retail Licensing
- Purchasing a Retail license comes with a statutory cooling-off period of 14 days if the user is not satisfied with the purchase.
- There is also a legal warranty for users where the purchased product does not work as the product should work.
- Retail licenses are perpetual.
- Retail licenses can only be used on one device at a time.