Windows Server 2022 Standard vs. Datacenter
Windows Server 2022 has been on the market for a while now. This edition also has different variants. There is a reasonable price difference between the variants, so it is important to know what exactly the differences are. We’ll show you the differences between Windows Server 2022 Standard and Windows Server 2022 Datacenter.
Windows Server 2022 Standard is the ‘basic version’ of Windows Server 2022. It is mainly developed for small to medium-sized businesses or for organizations that do not need things like Host Guardian Hyper-V Support. You also need CALs to access Windows Server Standard.
Windows Server 2022 Standard includes:
- Basic Windows Server 2022 functionalities
- 2 Virtual Machines (VMs)
- 1 Hyper-V host
Windows Server 2022 Datacenter
Windows Server 2022 Datacenter is often chosen for virtualization, because it allows you to place an infinite number of VMs on a physical host. Windows Server Datacenter also requires CALs to access the server.
Windows Server 2022 Datacenter includes:
- Basic Windows Server 2022 Features
- Infinite amount of Virtual Machines (VMs)
- 1 Hyper-V host
- Software Defined Networking
- Storage Replica
- Storage Spaces Direct
- Host Guardian Hyper-V Support
- Shielded Virtual Machines
Read all about using multiple Virtual Machines with Windows Server Licenses here.
Read all about Windows Admin Center here.
Differences between Windows Server 2022 Datacenter and Standard
Above, the basic differences between Standard and Datacenter are already visible. Below we explain the differences one by one.
- Virtual Machines: Windows Server 2022 Standard has 2 VMs, where Datacenter has a finite number of VMs
- Software-defined Networking: This enables efficient network configuration to improve monitoring and network performance. Software-defined Networking is only available in Windows Server 2022 Datacenter
- Storage Replica: Provides additional capabilities related to disaster recovery. This option is only available in Windows Server Datacenter.
- Storage Spaces Direct: This option allows you to make better use of the internal server storage and is only available in the Datacenter version.
- Host Guardian Hyper-V Support: Allows you to configure monitored hosts and run shielded VMs and is only available in the Datacenter edition.
- Shielded Virtual Machines: These are shielded virtual machines and this functionality is only available in Windows Server 2022 Datacenter.
Windows Server 2022 Standard vs. Datacenter: comparison table
Buy cheap Windows Server 2022 licenses
Are you looking for cheap Windows Server 2022 licenses and save up to 70% on costs? Softtrader offers pre-owned Microsoft licenses, because they are pre-owned they cost considerably less, while the functionalities are the same!
Do you have questions? Contact us!
For more information about which Microsoft software and licenses are best for you, please contact us. We are available from Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.